FAQs about Personal Injury

When will I receive payment?

Once you have finished medical treatment we will collect all medical records and bills from your treating physician and create what is called a “demand packet”. The demand packet is forwarded to the at fault insurance company who will evaluate your claim. Once your case has been evaluated the adjuster will contact our office to discuss your case and may relay an offer. If and when we are able to negotiate an acceptable settlement, payment will be mailed.

How long does the process take?

Once the demand packet has been mailed to the at fault insurance company it usually takes the adjuster approximately thirty days to contact our office to discuss the settlement of your case.

What happens if I disagree with the proposed settlement?

If the settlement offer is not acceptable to you we will discuss the possibility of filing a lawsuit in the jurisdiction of the appropriate court.

What happens when a lawsuit is filed and how long does that process take?

Once we have rejected the offer and all negotiation attempts have become unsuccessful our office will file a complaint in the court of appropriate jurisdiction. The amount of time it takes for your case to be heard by the court from the time a complaint is filed depends on several factors, some of which include: the courts availability, the time it takes the defendant to be served, and the time it takes to complete the discovery process (a process where attorneys obtain information about the case).

What is PIP?

PIP is an acronym for Personal Injury Protection. This is an elected amount of funds that policy holder may use for loss wages or medical expenses incurred as a result of seeking medical treatment.

What happens if I don’t have PIP or my PIP is exhausted?

If you have “waived” your PIP or your PIP is exhausted, your medical expenses may have to be paid with the funds from your settlement.

What about the property damage to my vehicle?

Our office will represent you on the personal injuries that you have suffered. If you have property damage to your vehicle you may contact the at fault insurance company to request a rental car and/or make arrangements with them to assess the property damage. Remember, do NOT discuss facts of the case.

What is the settlement I will receive?

When computing a settlement amount, the at fault adjuster will consider the amount of your medical bills, loss wages, property damage and other factors.

When should I contact your office?

Anytime you have a question or to notify us that you have completed medical treatment.

What should I do after I have been involved in an accident?

  1. Seek immediate medical.
  2. Call the police to have a police report taken.
  3. Make sure you have the insurance information of all parties involved.
  4. Call your insurance company only. DO NOT call the at fault drivers insurance as anything you say may be used against.
  5. Contact our office so that we may assist you further.