FAQs about Family Law:

What can I do to stop the parent of my child(ren) from taking them with out my permission?

Unless custody is established by a court order there is nothing that prevents the other parent from visiting with the child(ren) or even keeping them overnight.

What should I do if there is no court order and the other parent has taken my child(ren) and refuses to return them?

– There are several options that we can explore if this is a situation that you are faced with including filing an emergency petition. Please contact our office immediately if you believe your child(ren) are in imminent danger.

My child support is too high and I can not afford it, what can I do?

If you are unable to afford the child support that has been ordered by the court a modification of the court order is an option we can explore after we have assessed the change in circumstances that may have occurred.

I am still living with my spouse and want to get a divorce what should I do?

If you are still living with your spouse and want a divorce there are options to obtaining a legal separation, during our consultation we will explore all your alternatives to obtaining a divorce.

How does the court determine who will have custody of the children?

The court looks at several factors when determining which parent should be awarded custody. The court is most importantly going to make a finding that is in the best interest of the child(ren).

My child(ren)’s parent owes so much in child support, how will I ever be able to collect the arrears?

There are options that we can explore including requesting a show cause hearing in an effort to obtain back child support as well seeking to oppose a parent’s most recent income information.

How long does it take to get a divorce?

There are several factors that affect the time it takes to obtain a divorce such as:

Whether or not the divorce is contested or uncontested, how long the parties have been separated (in most cases, 1 year is required but some exceptions do apply), and the amount of cases on the court’s docket.